Thursday, January 15, 2015

3rd marking period science extensions

Forces and Motion tests are finally done! We had quite a few who were absent before break and I wanted them to take the test before I passed back the results.  You will get an email next week letting you know if your child has to retake the test or not.

Owl boxes!    
I sent home a packet today the details and explains how to build several different kinds of owl boxes.  Students who wish to "go above and beyond" for their science grade for the upcoming marking period (meaning they can earn a "4.0" instead of a " 3" ) can choose and build the box of their choice with their parent(s) and then hang it up for owls to inhabit. The front page details all the reasons as to WHY we build owl boxes, where to hang, them, how to hang them etc.

    I did this project for the first time last year and had so many parents ask me to do it again this year that we're doing it again!   Owl boxes are due March 20th... but they or pictures of the box can be turned in anytime after the 3rd marking period starts.  I can provide a list of place to hang them if you are not able to hang them in your neighborhood.

I also sent an "owl sound hunt" packet home.  For those that don't want to undertake building a box, this project gives specific directions on how to identify the different kinds of owls in Michigan as well as locations for you and your student to go to listen for owls in the night!  Directions are on the front of the packet.   C.D's with owl calls on them will be available on Monday.  I need them back after you download them so that I can keep passing them out to other students who are working on the same project. 

   The great horned owl's breeding season starts in February... and I've already heard our pair at the back of our property calling back and forth at night.  Barred owls breeding season starts mid February to mid March.  

Thanks so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment